At its inception the school had only eight pupils. One of them is Mrs. Gunarathna. The Sisters began including their students, the intrinsic worth of moral values and good manners, while impacting to them the benefits of formal education in the English medium.
The number of students swelled with surprising rapidity and vicinity, the parents who wanted to give their daughters this type of education, consisted themselves extremely lucky for at that time such private schools were few and far between.
As the school gained wider recognition the demand arose for a school boarding. Once this was started students from far and near flocked to St. Joseph’s convent. Canon Van Rechem superior General of the Congregation visited Kegalle on 13th of January 1910 and installed Mother Christine as the first Mother Superior of the community of six Sisters at St. Joseph’s Convent, Kegalle.